‘Wakaf’ is an Arabic word that simply means ‘endowment’. Individuals (known as wakif) dedicate wakaf properties for pious, religious or charitable purposes through their will or other means. Here are 5 of such properties that you may not know of around Singapore.
A wakaf property exists among this row of shophouses situated across the road from Joo Chiat Complex.
Donated by A.M. Keydin, S.M. Shaik Dawood and K.M. Mohamed Eusope in 1924, the property’s beneficiaries are the Sinnapalli Mosque, Melapalli Mosque and Periapalli Mosque in Tanjore District, India.
(1 of 5)
Comprising of some shophouses along Little India, this wakaf was originally held in trust by Shaik Abdul Ghafoor Bin Shaik Hyder (founder of Masjid Abdul Ghaffoor) until his death in 1919.
It was then administered by the Muslim & Hindu Endowment Fund from 1927 to 1968, and subsequently by Muis. Its net annual income is used for the maintenance, repairs and operations of Masjid Abdul Ghaffoor.
(2 of 5)
This shophouse along Telok Ayer Street is 1 out of the 27 wakaf properties along the central business district.
While its wakif is unknown, it was donated in 1825 for the upkeep and maintenance of Masjid Jamae, Masjid Al-Abrar and Nagore Dargah Indian Muslim Heritage Centre.
(3 of 5)
Raja Siti Kraeng Chandra Pulih donated these 2-storey shophouses along North Bridge Road for wakaf via a will dated 1883, and passed away in 1891.
The net income for these properties benefit Masjid Hajjah Fatimah, Mecca, Medina and Taif mosques in Saudi Arabia, the poor Sharifahs in Hadramaut, Yemen, and other charitable deeds.
(4 of 5)
75 East Coast Road
Sheriffa Zain Alsharoff, who passed away in 1968, donated this distinctive, 2-storey, pre-war shophouse along East Coast Road for wakaf.
Its net income is to be used for the purpose of dispensing free medicine to the poor, regardless of their race, language or religion.
(5 of 5)